Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Blackberries for the Austin area.

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:14:50 GMT, "BJ in Texas"
wrote:

Find the same problem with my 1-1/2 acres. I can only
manage to maintain about 1/3 of it. At least the other 2/3
is mostly wooded. :-)

BJ

I only have a half acre, but it is all cultivated with very little
turf. I only have turf in the front because it's only being nice to
sort of blend in. My backyard is a very wild/disorderly jungle.

There is nothing which compares to seeing dozens of hummingbirds at
the vitex, or battling for the feeders. Same with the Great Horned
Owl who lives in one of the trees, and the cuckoo bird who nests each
year in the front trees.

I guess it's a trade off. Tons of work, but the benefits of the
wildlife is incredible.