Old 12-04-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

Default Gardeners are gardeners

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Chris Bacon has just alerted me to the fact that despite
gardenbanters promise to conceal posters' email addresses (from their
post headers), in the case of usenet posters it doesn't honour the
promise.

Could you point me to where it says that? I'd be interested
to see the wording.

IOW, those here using real email contact addresses are having them
permanently recorded on a commercial website; a valuable commercial
resource to the website and its advertisers.

One way to avoid that is to auto-mark your posts "X-no-archive-yes",
which prevents them appearing at all on gardenbanter. They will appear
on google-groups for seven days only (enabling those who use it as a
usenet access to read and reply).

This, to me, is an unfortunate thing to do. Google, and
others, are a massive and useful resource. Setting xna=y
reduces the effectiveness of this resource (although quoted
xna=y messages are still stored, which is most of them).
There are other, less well-known sites that do not take
notice of the xna=y request, as well.