Old 12-04-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Gardeners are gardeners

Chris Bacon wrote:
Janet Baraclough wrote:

snip

One way to avoid that is to auto-mark your posts "X-no-archive-yes",
which prevents them appearing at all on gardenbanter. They will appear
on google-groups for seven days only (enabling those who use it as a
usenet access to read and reply).

This, to me, is an unfortunate thing to do. Google, and
others, are a massive and useful resource. Setting xna=y
reduces the effectiveness of this resource (although quoted
xna=y messages are still stored, which is most of them).
There are other, less well-known sites that do not take
notice of the xna=y request, as well.

That's certainly a pov but I know others, journalists among them, who
think Google are riding for a massive fall over copyright, potentially.
There is also a problem in that anyone can say anything that libels or
defames another and it is there, forever, possibly to be taken up and
used in future as an authoritative source of information. I have had
to take legal steps over an American nutcase who tried that with me and
one of my family and even on here, someone has defamed me in such a way
that is both untrue and potentially harmful to my husband's business.
I have no idea how it would work or even if it could work, but IMO, it
would be better if newsgroups could maintain their own archives and
have a sort of 'librarian' moderator who would weed out those that are
clearly libelous or defamatory. But as I say, that may be impossible.

Certainly, I object very strongly to Garden Banter taking my answers
here and using them for their own benefit without permission or even a
by your leave.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk