Old 12-04-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Default Planting Bags

Hi,
I have grown tomatoes in double grow bags for many years with ewxcellent
results.
place one grow bag on top of another cut a cross in top grow bag as you
would normnally, sccop away compost, then cut bthrough to bottom grow a hole
about 4 to 6 inches diameter, place bone meal in bottom and stir well.
now ensure even coverage of compost and plant toms, etc.
using 2 grow bags gives more space for roots.
As to watering, pierce bottom bag to take a length of 32mm waste pipe with
elbow one end which sticks out, block other end, pierce, or drill several
sma ll holes along pipe, and insert long ways, water into elbow until full.
Depending on size of holes this could keep bags well watered for quite some
time.
Hope this helps.
As far as sweetcorn is concerned, I have only grown this outdoors.
regards
Cineman
"Bman" wrote in message

Hello Group!

This is my first post!

I'm new to gardening and have only had one season trying to get my lawn
to look good again and a tobacco season, under my belt.

I've planted some tomatoes and sweetcorn and they have sprouted.

I'm planning on putting them into Planting Bags. But i've heard lots
about root space and depth and how plants need to spread their feet.
Certainly tobacco needs a good 30cm at least to root.

So i'm wondering if 5cm thick bags of soil are going to do the trick?
Or should I take several of them, cut out the tops and bottoms and
stack them together, making a kind of planter? If I had three of them
on top of each other, that would provide a really deep bed of earth to
root into.

What do you think about my idea?

Bman

--