Old 12-04-2006, 06:58 PM posted to england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Malcolm Race

Default Greenhouse Heaters - Gas or Electric - Which is best?

Redrose wrote:

Hello, at the moment I am heating my greenhouse by a 3 kw Electric heater. but
the electric bill is getting rather large!

I am thinking of switching to a Propane Gas heater of 2 - 3 kw, has anybody any
thoughts about this?

Thank you,

Tony.

Why heat the whole greenhouse? I am currently bringing on approx 250
Busy Lizzies and 100 Geraniums in an electrically heated propagator
(within a greenhouse). This is a bed of sand with an insulated base and
an 80W soil warming cable. On top is a 4' x 2' cold frame insulated
with bubble plastic. In a worst case scenario with external temp below
zero, the air temp in the propagator is always above 8C. I have used
this system for 4 or 5 years and have had no problems.

Malcolm