Old 12-04-2006, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Hay Bale Gardening

"al8dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Tumbleweed,
The round bales would be a bit too tall I think.

Rupert thanks for the advice. I probably wouldn't have thought of that.
It does say to keep it VERY well watered and maybe you would have a
less explosive alternate to use??? Anything would have to be a
commercial preparation as I have no time yet to grow anything for make
yer own. I plan to do comfrey somewhere it wouldn't be a disaster if
it spread.

Cheers and Keep up with the ideas.
Thanks
Julie
Northern Ireland

I am doubtful that you will be able to get your hands on Ammonium nitrate in
a pure form in the quantities you may need
Perhaps it is available with a fire suppressant. I assume that it is used
for a plentiful supply of nitrogen so any other nitrogenous fertiliser
should do but you would need to adjust the amount used.
This link gives various things with the relevant nitrogen content:-
http://www.chemicalland21.com/indust...rganic/NPK.htm
There are other more "organic" materials which should do the same job.