Old 12-04-2006, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhodochiton (Purple Bell Flower)

MikeCT writes
After sowing 17 Rhodochiton (Purple Bell Flower) seeds today, I searched on
the internet and found that germination is usually very slow indeed, often
taking more than 40 days! This year I had hoped to grow them to flowering
size in my conservatory and on a trellis in the garden. What are my chances
of success, or should I stick to Morning Glory?

ISTR flowering them in the first year. But even if they don't,
overwinter them and grow them on next year. They're well worth it. Quite
different in their impact from Morning Glory, both in the shape and the
two-tone colour of the flowers. The flowers themselves are longer
lasting than ipomeas, and the pinky bit, being not true petals, last
even longer.
--
Kay