Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

Question: In 30+ years of gardening, I've have never seen any advice
indicating that peat moss did NOT need to be mixed into soil. Never. Not
once, and this includes gardening veterans like James Crockett, Alan Lacy,
Henry Mitchell, Fred McGourty, Russell Page, Christopher Lloyd, etc. They
were gardening for 30-50 years before I even began. None of them suggest
that it's a good idea to just sprinkle peat moss on top of soil.

What evidence do you have that suddenly makes this a good idea?

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
I see two significant advantages to using peat as described -- it reduces
the frequency of waterings that are needed and surrounds the seeds and
provides them with a constant level of humidity. It sounds like a good
idea
to me.

And you could have had the same results with less water if you didn't
have to provide enough water to both keep the peat hydrated and have
enough left over for the seeds to germinate. You wasted money on the
peat, and then you wasted money by having to water more.

Unless you mix the peat into the soil, there is zero advantage to using
it. In fact, if you just spread it on top, it's a waste. A waste of
peat. A waste of water. And a waste of effort. The peat has no
nutriative value, and if it's not mixed in the soil, it does nothing to
help the soil at all.

--
Warren H.