Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Default Hay Bale Gardening

snip
there. But I suppose you are going to have to pay for the hay. I don't
know how much hay costs these days: I haven't bought it since it was, I
think, about two pounds a bale. Straw would be cheaper than hay, and
just as good. Even at less than that price, if you aren't going to feed
it to stock, it's probably more economic to buy in bales of peat
substitute (please, not real peat) and dig it in. I can't remember the
name of the firm to go to for bulk orders: were they called Maskell,
perhaps?

If you just want to buy a growing medium, growbags are cheaper and
easier as well as much better.

As Janet says dealers usually have some spoilt bales of hay and will
give them away if you are lucky. Hay is usually £1 a bale off the field,
£2.50 later and £3 per bale now, straw is about £2.50 approx. I buy mine
in early and pay about £1.50 per.bale delivered.

Using it as a growing medium is just out of interest.

kate