Old 13-04-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

Andrew Ostrander wrote:
Think about the purpose of using peat moss this way. It is not to
improve
the soil. It is to help establish fresh additional grass in an
existing
sparse lawn that will not be dug up. The purpose of the peat moss is
retain moisture as the seeds germinate and develop.

The peat will absorb moisture.

If the peat was mixed in the soil, that moisture would be available to
sprouting roots. But if the peat is on top of the soil, that moisture
will be lost to evaporation as the peat dries, and will do the
germination process absolutely no good. In fact, if you don't increase
how much watering you do, the soil under the peat will never get the
moisture it needs, and any germinating seeds will quickly die.

My evidence is my own observation that peat moss remains moist much
longer
than the surface of my lawn.

Yes. You're right.

Thus a lawn with peat moss on top will need
less frequent watering, perhaps twice a day to keep the grass seed
moist
instead of every hour during midday.

Wrong. The water will go to keeping the peat moist, and that moiture
will be unavailable for the germinating seedlings.

It will also shield the seeds from the
direct sunlight, which could dry them out no matter what they're on.

If you're seeding during spring or fall, any direct sunlight is a
non-issue. If you're seeding in the height of summer, yes, your seeds
could dry out, but they're going to dry out faster if you cover them
with a big sponge that's exposed to the sunlight. And that's what peat
is.

Try this: Take a sponge, and place it over some soil. Then water the
area where the sponge is, as well as a bare area of similar soil
composition, and other conditions. Water both areas to the point that
the sponge is saturated. Every hour, check the soil under the sponge,
and the area not under the sponge. Notice which soil dries out first:
What was under the sponge, or what wasn't.

The claims of you and your authorities that mixing peat moss into soil
is
the best way to use it to improve the soil, and just leaving it on top
is,
at best, useless, seem undeniable. But that is not the goal here or
the
situation. The moss will be kept moist until the grass is established.
The
fact that peat moss is useful when dug in does not prevent it from
being
useful in other ways too.

You're missing the point. It's not worthless on top because it's
supposed to be mixed in. It's supposed to be mixed in because it's
worthless (and, in fact, counter-productive) on top.

Save your water. Water only the soil and the seedlings. Don't lay peat
on top. You'll just have to water the peat in addition to the soil and
seedlings.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/