Old 13-04-2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Got back My Soil Test!

I have 2 compost piles about 6x6 ft going now plus alot of oak leaves and
aged sawdust I put through the chipper along with coffee/tea grounds egg
shells and anything else organic I even have my sweet neighbors saving
theirs for me in exchange for cut flowers when I have them! I have just
started mixing in lime also to be on the safe side as this is going in all
new beds from here on out and I add more at planting time.

But you know I just read after compost gets ready it is suppose to be fairly
neutral in pH is that true? Anyway as acid as my soil is extra lime sure
can't hurt. It is also sandy so I am mixing about half and half in the new
beds. Time to think about a better watering system besides the old hose I
think.

In answer to your questions..nope they didn't give a percentage on organic
content. (That would have been nice.)
It was the Mehlich I test then UGA gave me their Lime Buffer Capacity Method
test. My LBC was 541.

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you make sufficient compost you can add the limestone to that and
reserve it for your "normal" beds.
My reccomendation for wood ashes is because they are faster than
limestone and provide trace elements and a good portion of K
Limestone as a surface application is going to take a few months to
show effect.
It's more about making nutrients available to the plants as many are
locked up as insoluble compounds in acid soils.
Did your soil test give you a percentage of organic content?