Old 13-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Amount of corn

On 12 Apr 2006 12:38:58 -0700, Randy wrote:
I want to plant about 4 rows of corn 75 ft long. How many lbs of corn
will I have to buy?

You'll get much better yields if you plant it in a block rather than
4 rows x 75 ft. Try 12 rows x 25 ft if at all possible... better pollination,
lower "edge row effects".

Sweetcorn seed tends to average about 100-200 seed/oz; I like a spacing of
about 9" in row, 36" between row, but you may want to adjust that,
especially given your area's soil moisture and rain probabilities if
you don't irrigate. So 3 oz should do it if you've got good
germination; 4-5 oz if you want "insurance" for replanting.

Remember regular sweet corn needs a minimum soil temp of 55oF for
planting; 65oF for supersweet cultivars.

Kay