Old 13-04-2006, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default broken fork

"H Ryder" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a really strong fork - I've just snapped my second one.
This one was stainless steel and the steel snapped (it was a Senator) - is
SS softer than the black stuff (can't remember it's name)? My previous one
snapped through teh handle so an not having much luck

Also is there any standard way of digging up large shrubs without snapping
forks?
Hayley

You need to loosen the whole rootball all round the shrub before exerting excess
pressure on the fork. It can take a while..........Don't be tempted to try and
heave it out with pure power of the fork alone. It often helps when there are
two of you. one to dig and one to gently tilt the shrub at eth same time.
jenny