Old 13-04-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default using grey water ??

"Derek Banks" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gardening_Convert wrote:
With the hose pipe ban in effect . I am looking at ways of concerving
water .
I've already got a heavily discounted water butt through the local
council funded scheme

One of the problems of living in a bungalow is that it seems an impossible
task, short of fitting a below ground tank, to easilly collect grey water.
Also any water butt would have to sit at the front of the building which

is
not visually pleasing. I don't want to start hacking my guttering around.
At each corner of the building I have about 56 cms of brickwork to stand a
butt. Not much room ! I think as far as grey water I'm stuffed
Derek

one of the simpliest ways of using grey water is simply fittig a pipe to the
washing machine and piping the waste water out onto the lawn or gardens. It
is not very sophsiticated but I have heard of it. Some municipal authorities
may not like it, check with them perhaps before doing anything. Also think
about what you put through your washing machine before doing this. For
example, some toxic crap detergents may not be good for the soil. Basic
detergents probably are ok if they are bio-degradable or can be used for
septic tanks. Some contain posphorous which is useful for grass growth (but
which can also nutrient load water ways so best cut out detergents which
contain it). If you wash a load of shitty nappied you may not want to vent
that straight on to a vege garden and your soon to be harvested lettuces.
Like I said, not a very sophisticated method but it may be ok for where you
live. In summer if it is dry it is one way of watering the lawn/gardens.

rob