Old 13-04-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Wagner

Default Helleborus?

In article ,
"Rachel" wrote:

As for the Hellebore subject, they are notoriously difficult to
grow from seed

But once you have one or two plants, you're set, at least with some
hellebores. Last year after the seeds on my Helleborus foetidus ripened, I
laid the flower stalk on the ground and brushed a few leaves after it. Two
of them, actually. Now I have two sets of about 30 - 40 seedlings.

Don't know about growing them in colder zones though. I'm in
what passes for 8, and mine took a real beating this winter.
They're only just blooming now, usually we have them in january
if not earlier.

Here in 6b they've been in bloom since February. OK, so the year before the
H. foetidus bloomed in November! Anyway, most hellebores are hardy to zones
4 or 5.

I do nothing and they self seed sometimes. Can you speak about laying
flower stalks down ? I'd like to help the process as so far it is
mystery. Still looking about and identifying plants is fun.

We spend a lot of our time searching here for Japanese Maple gifts.
Hellebore's now on our list too.

Thanks!

Bill

--