Old 13-04-2006, 05:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default best time to run pumps?

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message

You disappoint me with your constant badgering of her and she HAS PROVEN
herself - especially elsewhere.

Daniel, when has she ever proven her self? As far as I can tell, koi-lo, in
her rush to respond to every pond related post, never takes the time to
properly read or understand the person's question. Her posts never include
specifics, just vague generalities. Let's analyze the post she made in this
thread, and compare it to what the original poster wanted.

OP: We would like to cut back on the electric bill. we are thinking we could
maybe run the waterfall
pumps only a few hours rather than 24/7. What do you think? What time of
day would be more beneficial during to have on and running daylight or over
night?

koi-lo: "As long as you leave something running to keep the water oxygenated
the fish
should be ok."
The original poster said they run 3 of their 5 pumps 24/7, even the most
novice ponder knows that stagnant water is bad. The original poster was
asking how they can reduce the number of pumps they run 24/7, which she did
not answer. Doesn't respond to question about running the waterfall pump
only a few hours a day.

koi-lo: "Also your filter needs fresh incoming water 24/7."
What filter? The OP never said anything about having a biofilter. The OP
could turn off the UV filter and the associated pump for several hours a day
and not have it adversely affect water quality.

koi-lo: "But then how many fish are in your pond?"
OP forgot to include this information, but really it's not the right
question to ask. It is better to ask if they've tested their water. What is
she going to do with the answer? Say oh you need to run it 24/7 because you
have N+1 fish, if you had N-1 fish, you could run it 12 of the 24 hrs a day?

koi-lo: "If there are a large number you may need to leave both the filter
and falls running."
No they don't. The original poster said nothing about a bio-filter, only a
UV filter. How is a UV filter going to improve the water quality for the
fish? All a UV filter does is kill suspended bacteria and algae. Plus a more
efficient plumbing and pump lay out could reduce the number of pumps.