Old 14-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Chookie

Default When To Plant Natives

In article ,
"Andrew G" wrote:

Here on the Mid North coast last winter we had a large amount of Frosts for
a change. We lost many Bouganvilleas and Callistemons as tubestock that were
planted in March April. I should point out it wasn't the frost itself that
hurt them, but the morning sun hitting the frosted plants. We noticed that
wherever sprinklers has hit the plants, they were ok. The sprinklers came on
before the sun had hit them.

You had a deprived childhood :-) I know about the morning sun because I read
Laura Ingalls Wilder books. "Farmer Boy" includes an account of her future
husband's family trying to save the corn crop from a cold snap by watering the
plants (acres of them!) before sunrise.

I agree that if the OP lives in a frost-prone area, spring is better, but if
there are only mild/occasional frosts, autumn is better for planting tubestock.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990