Old 13-04-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Bare rooted plants from America

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:18:58 +0100, "Rupert"
wrote:

A load of bare rooted plants are about to be dumped on me from USA.
Some new DEFRA / USA regulations mean that they can not be shipped in soil.
Any suggestions as to how Avocados (a few feet) should be treated on arrival
to get them growing.
One suggestion is to cut leaves in half to reduce water loss but I would
have thought that this would result in a greater loss from the cuts.
As you can see this is not an area of my expertise

It is recommended that leaf cuttings of camellias are cut in half
(transversely, not lengthwise) to reduce transpiration. Didn't cause
any problems when I've done this in the past and I sometimes do it to
other types of cutting if they're excessively leafy. Whether avocados
would benefit, I've no idea.

--
Chris