Old 14-03-2003, 12:56 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default OT-here's your dilemma of the day

OK, I assumed everyone would know it's a joke that I posted. France does have
the right to protest and vote any way they wish. But consider the following:

Briefly, here is a U.N. Security resolution.
It spells it out pretty clear! France seems to be completely disregarding it.

In August 1990, after Iraqi forces invaded Kuwait, the U.N. Security Council
passed a resolution under Article VII of the U.N. Charter (thereby making it
binding on all U.N. members) that banned all financial transactions with Iraq,
international flights to Iraq, and trade with Iraq in all goods except medicine
and humanitarian food aid. In April 1991, after the Gulf War ended, the
Security Council passed Resolution 687, which determined that the sanctions
would continue until Iraq met several conditions, chief among them shutting
down its programs to produce chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons and
destroying its existing weapons of mass destruction. This resolution also
required Iraq to prove to the international community that it was disarmed.

"Banned all financial transactions with Iraq, ............. and trade with Iraq
in all goods!!!!" And it's binding on ALL U.N. Members.
Excuse me! I don't remember France getting 9 favorable votes in the UN for them
to continue to have financial transactions and trade with Iraq!

So I think the French Government should keep their protests low-keyed like the
Germans and some other countries are doing. If the U.S. starts the war with
Iraq on their own, I say, "France, don't say a bleepin' word! The U.S. has not
made an international fuss about you disregarding a U.N. resolution and
continuing your financial relationship with Iraq."