Old 13-04-2006, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Taking cuttings

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:
snip
Here's a website about softwood cuttings from hydrangeas. Which are
easy providing you catch the plant when the leaves are just the
right size. Probably just about right now in fact. On the website
she recommends cutting the leaves in half on the potted cuttings.
Which I wouldn't necessarily be happy with. If the leaves are the
right size this shouldn't be necessary in any case.

When my husband takes cuttings from quite large leafed plants, he
*always* chops the leaves in half. It helps prevent water loss. I'm
talking about things like Camellia, Eleagnus, Hydrangea etc.
--

The leaves on the side shoots on my hydreangeas are currently
2" long. While camellias being waxy leaved shouldn't lose that

I can only say that he's been doing this for over 20 years and that
while the propagating house is always pretty full, it's not done for
space. Some of the things he does that to are put into a sort of tent
arrangement where the mister works over them but they also get bottom
heat. Presumably, those who use this method find the lowering of
moisture loss overcomes any worries about forming a callous. His
success rate is high, so something's working! Everyone has their pet
methods, especially the pros, so that's his. There can be no doubt
that having all the 'gadgetry' makes life easier but I see in another
thread that Chris Hogg says he does the same to leaves - it's a
recognised method to prevent loss of moisture.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

See my other post. I confused softwood cuttings with semi hardwood
cuttings taken later on in the year when the leaves will indeed be
full sized and so too big for use as cuttings without trimming
of some kind. I've only ever taken softwood cuttings of hydrangeas.
While the semi hardwood cuttings of the camellias were taken much
later. Quite when I can't remember. The OP's problem will be the time
of year, and what's possible with each of these plants, given that
any cuttings need to be established by autumn. I think.....

michael adams