Old 13-04-2006, 09:45 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default fast-growing Thuja "Green Giant" trees?

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:26:08 GMT, "Mike Harris"
wrote:

but not native
(whatever that means).

Latosha,

You're kidding, surely?

I have to give the benefit of the doubt when people suggest them,
always with the hope that they just don't know. I'm very conflicted
with my own property. There are 3 waxleaf ligustrums and 3 Chinese
variegated privets (sp?)

Every year there are three pairs of cardinals which nest in those
privets. So, after the broods are done and fledge, I think I'm going
to slowly hedge trim them a little at a time till they are nubs and
pull them out with a winch and truck!

It's so important to be careful how and what we plant in the
landscape. I've made many mistakes, that's for sure.

I have a question; I may have asked before, but if I wrote a book for
northerners who move to Central Texas, do you think it would be
helpful to enough people?

I think a large problem is that something which may clump in Wisconsin
or New York will run and raise the house down here in Texas! For
example, bamboo. Black bamboo is really not a runner, but it is in
Texas. Especially when we have a winter where we barely had a frost,
it was not even a hard freeze and even my cannas didn't die this
winter!

My working title of the book is:

"When North Moves South:
The Mistakes We Make"

Anyway, I am in pain right now and I took pain medication so I get
verbose and weepy when I am on darvon! Sorry

Victoria