Old 13-04-2006, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

Default railway sleepers

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:36:42 +0100, The Invalid wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:10:38 +0100, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , roy king
writes
Has anyone made raised beds out of railway sleepers.Any advice or details
of
what you did wellcome.

Yes. Don't use the ones treated with creosote or similar substance.

Why?

Five used REAL rail sleepers treated with tar or creosote for years in
my raised beds without any problems at all

We used some for our terraced bank, and the first very hot day of summer they
oozed the stuff. The cats walked it in the house, and we got it on our shoes
and everything. We've now had a lot of them replaced with the tanalised
ones, which don't look so aged, but behave a lot better! It probably depends
on your supplier.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk