Old 13-04-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default railway sleepers

cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Unfortunately, the same rules that banned old style creosote also
banned creosote and tar covered sleepers coming into contact with
soil. The risk is apparently one of phenolics geting into the soil.
The legislation is not retrospective, if there are there than that is
ok, but not going forward. When sold a tar / creosote covered
sleeper, you should be asked and sign to say that you are not putting
them on soil, thoug what else you would do with them I know not.
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

I suppose that, if interviewed by an official puffington, you could say
you were going to place them on an impermeable membrane. In fact, you
could actually _do_ it!

Sally's problem with the stuff getting walked into the house on a hot
day hadn't occurred to me, I must confess -- it sounds like bad luck, as
I've never suffered it. I wonder if a coating of sand, applied in hot
weather, would be enough to stop it.

--
Mike.