Old 13-04-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

Default railway sleepers

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:38:56 +0100, Mike Lyle wrote
(in article ):

cliff_the_gardener wrote:
Unfortunately, the same rules that banned old style creosote also
banned creosote and tar covered sleepers coming into contact with
soil.

snip

Sally's problem with the stuff getting walked into the house on a hot
day hadn't occurred to me, I must confess -- it sounds like bad luck, as
I've never suffered it. I wonder if a coating of sand, applied in hot
weather, would be enough to stop it.

We tried that, believe me! We did look into all sorts of cures but didn't
find one that worked, short of covering them with paving slabs or planks
which rather missed the point. Replacement of the worst ones was the only
option in the end. Also, you can imagine the fun trying to water this bank
with a hose and trying not to get the hose on the sleepers. If we had known
the problem we would have gone for the tanalised ones in the first place, but
hindsight, as they say, is an exact science!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk