Old 14-04-2006, 06:16 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default Plant shelves

"Joan" wrote in message
Thanks for responding. The problem is, the tank is around 2 feet
deep. I did find a metal plant stand today that I think might work.
It's painted metal, though. I don't know what kind of paint. Do you
think that would be safe for fish?

I'm guessing it's a iron or steel wire bent into the shape of a pot
holder/stand, then coated with a vinyl or latex paint. My bet is it quickly
turns into a rusting thing with chips of paint peeling off.

If it's 2ft deep,. what about upside down milk crates? and upside down soda
crates You can usually find those behind restaurants, convience stores and
grocery stores. The milk crates I got have a plastic mesh on 3 sides, so the
top and front are open, when upside down, they make a little cave.

In my pond, I put them on top of 2 cinderblocks to make a little tunnel
which the big fish seem to enjoy and the smaller fish like to swim through
the handles and mesh. Someone in here once posted that they made caves and
plant stands out of 4" and 6" PVC tubes. Try that from your local hardware
store.

-S