Old 14-04-2006, 05:10 PM
gcouger gcouger is offline
Registered User

Location: stillwater, OK

Hi Kay,

I just wandered in to the group when I saw Jim Webster was here.

I suspect that I am a season late on this post. If you didn't get the termite problem solved last year. Fumigation of the soil before you plant and putting termite baits around the garden should reduce the problem and eradicate them over time. Get some unbiased professional help from your local county extension agent listed tin the phone book under state county offices. I had to go to a phone book for another county. Due Oklahoma State University and the State USDA headquarters being here there were too many extension offices to make heads or tails of.

I think the termite baits should work well in your case see over time:
http://www.uky.edu/Ag/Entomology/ent...ruct/ef639.htm. The fact that termites will take bait back to the nest and kill the colony and the bait will not affect the vegetables if they are far enough away that the toxins don't leach into the soil. If you can pinpoint the nest it will be easier to control.

The baits need to be away from the garden as they can leach toxic chemicals into the soil. Consult your local county extension agent about the bait and how to use in for the termites in your area. His job is to help with problems like these.

I really miss Cloridane, Hepticlor and Deldren. They can't be used in the garden but they sure made long term solutions to to termite when used correctly in soils that didn't leach. Unfortunately we all wouldn't use the safely.

Gordon Couger
Stillwater, OK
www.couger.com/gcouger