Old 14-04-2006, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

You still persist in your error in logic.

You have not referred to any professional recommendation or evidence that
says the method does not work. The professional recommendations to which
you refer say to use peat moss another way, which is not applicable here.
That does not mean it will not work in the way that is suggested here.

That peat moss is recommended for method B and works in method B does not
mean that it does not work in method A.

I notice that you ignored my previous posting to a garden site that
recommended applying peat moss on top of a lawn when reseeding. Here are 3
more. They were easily found.

http://www.hudginsgardencenter.com/h...care_guide.htm

http://extras.berkshireeagle.com/neb...ault.asp?id=ar
ticle18

http://www.skynursery.com/doc/garden_lawn_tips.htm

My other point is that, yes, I wrote, "I think this should work". I am
disagreeing with your opinion. I did not present my opinion as accepted
truth. You, on the other hand, have presented as known fact what is only
your view on the situation.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Good! When you can explain your theories, and why they fly in the face of
virtually ALL other professional recommendations, including those on the
peat moss packages, I'll be happy to change my opinion. But, all you've

done
is said "I think this should work and the facts are of no important". You
may as well be telling someone to stick a gun in his mouth and pull the
trigger because you think the history of bullet wounds is nonsense.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
I am tremendously amused. You remarks were most entertaining. Thank you.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Your observations are at best the products of delusion. Please accept
that

mean this in a good way. You have no idea what you saw. The only

possible
exception to what I've said is that you are home all day long, and are

able
to hose down the lawn's surface every couple of hours. Aside from that
possibility, or living in a climate where it rains lightly and

endlessly
every day, there are no other explanations.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
Think about the purpose of using peat moss this way. It is not to

improve
the soil. It is to help establish fresh additional grass in an
existing
sparse lawn that will not be dug up. The purpose of the peat moss

is
retain moisture as the seeds germinate and develop.

My evidence is my own observation that peat moss remains moist much

longer
than the surface of my lawn. Thus a lawn with peat moss on top will

need
less frequent watering, perhaps twice a day to keep the grass seed
moist
instead of every hour during midday. It will also shield the seeds
from
the
direct sunlight, which could dry them out no matter what they're on.

The claims of you and your authorities that mixing peat moss into

soil
is
the best way to use it to improve the soil, and just leaving it on

top
is,
at best, useless, seem undeniable. But that is not the goal here or
the
situation. The moss will be kept moist until the grass is

established.
The
fact that peat moss is useful when dug in does not prevent it from
being
useful in other ways too.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
Question: In 30+ years of gardening, I've have never seen any advice
indicating that peat moss did NOT need to be mixed into soil. Never.

Not
once, and this includes gardening veterans like James Crockett, Alan
Lacy,
Henry Mitchell, Fred McGourty, Russell Page, Christopher Lloyd, etc.

They
were gardening for 30-50 years before I even began. None of them

suggest
that it's a good idea to just sprinkle peat moss on top of soil.

What evidence do you have that suddenly makes this a good idea?

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
I see two significant advantages to using peat as described -- it
reduces
the frequency of waterings that are needed and surrounds the

seeds
and
provides them with a constant level of humidity. It sounds like a

good
idea
to me.

And you could have had the same results with less water if you

didn't
have to provide enough water to both keep the peat hydrated and
have
enough left over for the seeds to germinate. You wasted money on
the
peat, and then you wasted money by having to water more.

Unless you mix the peat into the soil, there is zero advantage to
using
it. In fact, if you just spread it on top, it's a waste. A waste

of
peat. A waste of water. And a waste of effort. The peat has no
nutriative value, and if it's not mixed in the soil, it does
nothing
help the soil at all.

--
Warren H.