Old 14-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs.... and noise

"~ janj" wrote in message
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 22:50:48 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

My desk is by an open window. The pond is no more than 15' from this
window. Noisy frogs? I'm glad this isn't my bedroom window. As much as
like to hear them they can "get to me" after a few hours. Two of them out
there are quite loud and almost sound like screaming women.

The ones here sound very much like crickets in slow-motion, they can be
loud. My frog-hating neighbors have complained enough times now, that I go
out each night and catch as many as I can. 7 tonight, 26 total.

The number of frogs in your pond is awfully high. Where do they all come
from since you are obviously in a subdivision? We live in a rural area and
don't get anywhere near that many. The bullfrogs were relocated as I would
catch them so their numbers are dropping these past few years. The small
green-gray tree frogs are most numerous but not that loud. Then there are
these small green frogs that are almost impossible to find as they hide so
well - and shriek long and loud. Now they would irritate the most devout
frog fancier after a few hours. All in all we have several types of frog
here and all have a different "song." Most are not irritating at all. By 2
AM all is quiet out there. We do have neighbors but they're not that close.
The one woman (they moved a few years ago) said they could hear our frogs
but they were too far to be annoying or keep them awake. The new family
there are putting in a small 100g pond of their own.

Unfortunately this year it isn't making much of a dent. Tonight I thought
had them all, and was surprised 30 minutes later to hear more frogs,
almost
as loud.

This must be very frustrating for you. You can't remove them all as there's
a source somewhere repopulating your pond. :-(

And what will this come down to? Well, if the city gets involved I could
have to fill in my pond. So I'm planning to put the goldfish back in the
pond this weekend. I'll remove some eggs, to grow else where, but it looks
like I'll need to stop this hobby until these freak-of-nature neighbors
(or
myself) move..... ~ jan

I hope you can cut the population as we did with the bullfrogs. Keep
relocating the eggs and adults and any pollywogs (yes I would net any eggs
and tads and take them to the nearby lake). It may help.

That's why we sold the house in town and moved out here. There were too
many rules and regulations in town. One day you realize you're more like a
renter than a property owner. Out here they leave you alone........
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.