Old 14-04-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs.... and noise

"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:25:18 -0500, "Koi-Lo"
wrote:

wrote in message
you need a barrier of some kind to keep em out of the pond in spring.
Ingrid

=====================
A fine bird net would work but Jan doesn't want to net her pond.

In very recent years, I have noticed in the terrestrial gardening
literature a caution about using netting over garden beds, concern
over birds becoming entangled, I think.

But I've read about them falling into ponds and drowning. I've seen small
birds eaten by bullfrogs when they came to drink from one of our ponds. The
nets stopped both ways birds lost their lives. We've had one goldfinch get
tangled and lose it's life so far, and several water snakes. Without the
nets I wouldn't be able to keep fish. Being I feed the birds all winter
long I'm sure I more than made up for that poor little finch.

In some of the garden catalogs
I am beginning to read descriptions of "bird safe" netting. Bird
proofing my strawberries with bird safe netting sounds almost like an
oxymoron to me. I can understand the concern, what little I know of
it. Is there any mention of this kind of thinking in the pond
literature?

Not that I saw.
--
Koi-Lo....