Old 14-04-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Bare rooted plants from America

"Rupert" wrote in message

"mouldy man" wrote in message
Interesting, do you have any links to the DEFRA site, as I have been
trying to imort some tree's.

But all the nurserys I have contacted refuse to supply, either potted
or bare rooted.

It was my understanding that its not only the soil borne pests etc,
its those that could be infesting the tree (hiding in the bark) etc,
that why restrictions were imposed.

It's a very complex process -so complex that many of the UK plant
suppliers have packed in exporting to the UK and Europe.
Quote from my supplier in USA
" Looks like it's some kind of
"cold war" between USDA and DEFRA"

If you find an American supplier who is prepared to ship to the UK you
will need to become an authorised plant importer and receive a DEFRA
registration number. This is a relatively simple process, particularly if
you are VAT registered.
Whatever the cost of the plant you can add several hundred pounds to the
cost to cover:-
Phytosanitary certificate, USA-Packaging to IATA standards, Transport to
Airport, Airfreight charges to UK, Clearance charges in the UK , Import
duty and DEFRA inspection charge.
+VAT.
An alternative is to piggy back your shipment with someone else who is
already registered

Just one final word of advice --if you do import plants make certain they
don't arrive at Heathrow on a Bank Holiday--(very big sob).