Old 14-04-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Rotary Clothes Line spike

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

NC wrote:
I am about to set up a Rotary Clothes Line in the garden of our new
build house. Instructions (B&Q jobbie) say that the spike should be set
in concrete. Is this necessary - or can I just hammer it into the ground
??

snip

If you don't use concrete, the soil will get wet and soggy and the
hole will get softer and the line will topple over. Ditto as the soil
gets dry and shrinks away from the fixing. Ditto when the gales blow
and take your washing into the garden 6 doors down!

And, it doesn't need a huge amount of concrete, mine is in a block about 6
inches in diam and the depth of the 'spike', the concrete is on the 'lawn'
and the top of the concrete is set below the level of the grass, so you
don't know there is concrete there.

Alan

--
Sacha