Old 14-04-2006, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Bare rooted plants from America

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert wrote:
snip
Just one final word of advice --if you do import plants make certain they
don't arrive at Heathrow on a Bank Holiday--(very big sob).

Oh no! What happened?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Well it's like this. The computerised clearance system would not accept the
DEFRA import number and the agent said that there was no one in Customs who
could help because they were operating on a skeleton staff.
Me rings an emergency number and Customs intervene and the system starts to
work. Original documents are with the agent who needs to get them to Customs
who have promised to clear everything in two hours which gets us to about 6
o'clock this evening.
Agent goes home at 5 o'clock and no one can release anything from warehouse
until tomorrow.
One other slight problem is all the paperwork is wrong cos one box did not
get loaded in Florida and has arrived on a different flight.

That's it -I am going to stick to flowering pansies from the local shed or
perhaps get a taxi to Devon and back and have a look at your plants.
I am certain this would work out cheaper and less stressful :-)

..