Old 14-04-2006, 10:38 PM
wheator wheator is offline
Registered User

Location: Cardiff
Unhappy Silver birch Problems

I have a silver birch that is just over 3 years old - it's about 12' high, but the trunk is not very substantial - ie almost the same width from ground level to about 3' to the top. The tree has always been staked. The position of the tree is in a very windy area (strong westerlies) and as such tends to bend into the wind.
The stake has been gradually reduced in height to now about 2' from ground level.
I have a couple of questions - Should I insert an additional stake in order to try and straighten up this eastward bending trunk or is it too late, in which case should I remove the remaining stake and leave it to the elements to either increase the girth of the tree or blow it over - my concern is that once it fully comes into leaf, in a stron wind, the crown will simply snap off?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Rob