Old 14-04-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

Mama Bear wrote:
Bill wrote :

In article ,
says...

snip

I wonder about those slurries I've heard about, where you can
spray the seed all over, in a mix of stuff that keeps it
moist and helps it germinate. But that's probably big
expensive government stuff.

You mean?:

http://www.turfmaker.com./

Yep, must be government stuff.

I doubt the government owns any of those. I think they are owned by
subcontractors who provide the service to the prime contractor on
construction projects. I know they recently redid some roads here, with
new paving, curbs, and sidewalks, and some contractor came around and
sprayed the stuff. I have also seen it done when a developer is
building homes. If you want to look into it, call a large contractor
and ask for the name of his subcontractor. You could probably have it
done without having to buy the equipment, but I would guess it would be
more expensive than the traditional method I described above. I'm not
real confident that the slurry alone will produce a nice lawn; I think
it will produce a lawn with a lot of ryegrass, and you will have to do
something to get a finer grass to replace that. I worked in a new
building where they had used the slurry, and in the two years I was
there, they never got to the point where the grass looked good.