Old 14-04-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg

Default Furnace Failure...UGH!

If I had hair I would have pulled it out by now. A week ago my 4 winters
old Modine HotDawg natural gas heater stopped working. It would not fire.

Luckily it's been warm enough to keep the greenhouse warm with house heat so
I am not too concerned. If this had happened in January I would have been
frantic. After numerous phone calls to the manufacture and their rep I was
told that any HVAC company should be able to work on it. I called a local
company who took their good old time coming out and the repairman took two
hours to figure out what was wrong ($255.00). The squirrel cage that
exhausts the heater has rusted and fell apart. The HVAC company took the
part and today 4 days later called to tell me the part was going to cost
$650.00. I was shocked since the whole heater only costs $550 online at
numerous sites.

Once again I called the manufacturer's rep who told me the part lists for
$141.00. The HVAC company says too bad that their price is $650....plus
installation.

Now I'm thinking about cutting my losses and just getting a new heater. I
need 45,000 BTUs and it has to hang from the ceiling. The Modine Rep said
the greenhouse environment is why the furnace failed after 4 years. He says
the new ones that vent air from outside are better because they don't have
the humid air of the greenhouse rotting the insides.

The ones vented from the outside are double the price of the model I have
now.

I thought I'd ask the experts in here what their experience is with gas
furnaces. How is your greenhouse furnaces holding up? Would you recommend
it?

I'm hesitant about making another investment in a Modine product.

Good growing,
Gene