Old 15-04-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Default Furnace Failure...UGH!

Most of the people around here who have greenhouses use Southern Burner.
-danny

"wendy7" wrote in message
Hi Gene, My mentor has used a Southern Burner heater for more than
30years, still heating.
We have had two for over 10yrs & have had to replace the Thermo-couple on
each. $11.00 shipped
overnight.
Not sure of the BTU's but g/h sizes are 10 x 24 & 10 x 20 with varying
heights to 10feet.
We have the model that has a chimney & one has to purchase the upright
pipes from
Home Depot about $4 each. I paid about $400 for the heater but the price
must be higher
by now.

http://www.southernburner.com/

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Gene Schurg wrote:
If I had hair I would have pulled it out by now. A week ago my 4
winters old Modine HotDawg natural gas heater stopped working. It
would not fire.

Luckily it's been warm enough to keep the greenhouse warm with house
heat so I am not too concerned. If this had happened in January I
would have been frantic. After numerous phone calls to the
manufacture and their rep I was told that any HVAC company should be
able to work on it. I called a local company who took their good old
time coming out and the repairman took two hours to figure out what
was wrong ($255.00). The squirrel cage that exhausts the heater has
rusted and fell apart. The HVAC company took the part and today 4
days later called to tell me the part was going to cost $650.00. I
was shocked since the whole heater only costs $550 online at numerous
sites.

Once again I called the manufacturer's rep who told me the part lists
for $141.00. The HVAC company says too bad that their price is
$650....plus installation.

Now I'm thinking about cutting my losses and just getting a new
heater. I need 45,000 BTUs and it has to hang from the ceiling. The
Modine Rep said the greenhouse environment is why the furnace failed
after 4 years. He says the new ones that vent air from outside are
better because they don't have the humid air of the greenhouse
rotting the insides.

The ones vented from the outside are double the price of the model I
have now.

I thought I'd ask the experts in here what their experience is with
gas furnaces. How is your greenhouse furnaces holding up? Would you
recommend it?

I'm hesitant about making another investment in a Modine product.

Good growing,
Gene