Old 15-04-2006, 01:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Frogs.... and noise

The number of frogs in your pond is awfully high. Where do they all come
from since you are obviously in a subdivision?

The neighborhood use to be semi-rural, I'm in the city limits, but when we
moved here, 19 years ago, there was 10-20 acres of desert behind us. We
were in walking distance of orchards. I'm in walking distance of a large
natural preserve/delta river area. Many lined ponds around me also have
frogs, including the house behind me, unfortunately their pond is in front.
For 5-6 years the frogs have been welcome in my lily pond, so between
myself and neighbors, and just the general area, that's where they're all
coming from.

I hope you can cut the population as we did with the bullfrogs. Keep
relocating the eggs and adults and any pollywogs (yes I would net any eggs
and tads and take them to the nearby lake). It may help.

In my case, I plan to move the eggs elsewhere, as I have some people
interested in tads/eggs, then put the goldfish back in. They will eat
anything new, or that I miss. Then I'll continue catching the males. What
will really sadden me? When I work it in the garden I almost always come
across one thru out the summer. Always made me smile.

There were too many rules and regulations in town.

Generally I prefer the rules & regs. unfortunately some people don't
understand tolerance or compromise living near others... or it is a case
you tolerate us, but we're gonna give you heck if you bother us. ~ jan