Old 15-04-2006, 05:54 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Weed or escaped garden flower?

In article ,
Phred wrote:
In article , Ron Hardin wrote:
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin5/w20.jpg

Too early for day lilies.
Central Ohio.

Sorry I can't help with the ID, but just pointing out that, at least
here in Oz, most weeds *are* escaped garden plants (not necessarily
just "flowers"). I'd be a bit surprised if it's not pretty much the
same over there.

Most of the plants in Ron's photo collection are Eurasian, AFAIK, but
this is one of the North American natives. It's an Erythronium sp.
Around here they are called trout lilies, because of the speckled
leaves, although they aren't lilies. They're also called dogtooth
violets, although they aren't at all related to violets, either.
IIRC, they are in the same taxon as crocuses and irises.

While there are some cultivated hybrids, this looks like the wild
species to me.