Old 15-04-2006, 10:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Wheeler

Default Compost problem

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"hob" wrote in message

Are both your piles in full sun? I compose in fairly heavy shade and I
don't expect this year's additions to be ready until next year. The

amount
of sunlight on the pile makes a big difference.

They are in the shade - deep shade. I wondered about that, but since the
piles make their own heat which would increase bacterial activity, I
thought
it wouldn't be a major factor.

It makes a huge difference, although I think it's not so much in how well
it composts in warm weather. Rather, it determines whether the pile is
frozen or defrosted in winter. My compost box was full in early December
last year, and normally, I wouldn't have expected any action from it until
it defrosted in March or early April. But, it's been a mild winter, the
box is in the sun for most of the day, and when I checked it in mid-March,
its volume had reduced by half. Next year, it might not be that way.

I don't think it makes much difference to the compost process if the pile is
in the sun or shade. Sun will dry it out some, so more water will need to
be added. I compost in the shade for 2 reasons: 1) I'd rather work in the
shade, and 2) It's an area where fewer plants will grow. I've had 3'
diameter piles that were frozen on the outside and 140 degrees on the
inside. Turning a pile really helps with complete composting.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7