Old 15-04-2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

http://www.hudginsgardencenter.com/h...care_guide.htm

http://extras.berkshireeagle.com/neb...ault.asp?id=ar
ticle18
http://www.skynursery.com/doc/garden_lawn_tips.htm

Andrew. A point of clarification here. The websites you referred to, one
talked about topdressing existing lawns with peat moss by raking it into

the
existing turf and the other sugested covering grass seed with peat moss.
The first suggestion is, as far as I can see, about conditioning your soil
and adding organic material using a no till method.
The latter does not explain how to moss is to be applied.
The original post was about shredding and blowning peat moss on to newly
laid grass seed.

No, actually every web site refers to putting peat moss on top of seed when
reseeding a lawn. I will quote one or two sentences from each of the web
sites:

"After applying lime, fertilizer, and seed to your lawn, we recommend you
cover the newly seeded areas with a light covering of peat moss or straw.
Peat moss is the most desirable and is excellent for average size areas."

"If your lawn is sparse, mix in seed with the peat moss when you're
top-dressing, and spread it with a rake."

"Apply seed, lime, and starter fertilizer, cover with peat moss or Grass
Mulch and thoroughly water."

The unanswered question for me is the blowing bit. I cannot see bits of

peat
moss fluff doing much. Getting it in to the right areas at the right
thickness must require raking. Bits of peat moss lying over a soil must be
subject to wind blow. What happens when the seed starts to germinate and
they have a nice layer of mulch stopping them getting to the sun.

Of interest value only, your opinion please.

rob
(rest of discussion snipped)

I don't know how blowing can be done. If the peat moss is dry it will blow
all over, better wear a dust mask for sure. If it is moist, it's harder to
blow. I never regarded the blowing as basic to the points I was disagreeing
with.

After the seed germinates the young blade will have to push its way through
a layer of moist peat moss. I don't see this as a problem; after all, peat
moss is a major component of most seed starter mixes.