Old 15-04-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default growing roses into trees

H Ryder wrote:
How does this work - it just occurred to me that teh leaves on teh tree
would shade the rose? Also can anyone recommend a highly scented vigorous
rose to grow into a large alder (I think). Preferably the old rose type
rather than a hybrid tea type. TIA,

Have a look at the David Austin site because they have a section
specific to roses for putting up trees. These a
Climbers and Ramblers for growing into Trees, over Bushes and Hedges
and smothering unsightly features: Almost any rambler is excellent but
the best a Albéric Barbier, Bobbie James, Cécile Brunner Clg, Dr.
W. Van Fleet, Félicité et Perpétue, Francis E. Lester, Kew Rambler,
Long John Silver, May Queen, R. filipes 'Kiftsgate', Paul's Himalayan
Musk, R. mulliganii, R. banksiae lutea, R. banksiae banksiae, R.
wichuraiana ramblers, Wedding Day.
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Some of these are not very scented but e.g. Kiftsgate is fast and
vigorous and very lovely, as is R. Banksiae lutea. I should think you
could try the same thing with e..g Clematis rehederiana which is
evergreen with us, flowers later in the year than many Clematis and has
cowslip scented pale yellow bells. We have it growing in among the
Rosa Banksiae and other things on the front wall of the house and it
allows a lovely delicate fragrance to creep in through the bedroom
window.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk