Old 15-04-2006, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Richard

Default Helleborus?

"axeman" wrote in
:

How about just buying a ready-grown plant from a reliable
LOCAL nursery? It's not an uncommon plant.

I checked with one. They don't have seedling size, only gallons,
and they want $13 each!

You might want to wait until the end of the season and see if you can
get any on sale. I picked up four last August and paid $10 for the
lot. They have beautiful flowers on them right now. I saw an ad in
a local nursery's flyer last week advertsing Hellebores 1 for $30 or 2
for $50. Insane pricing!

Good luck finding some. They are worth it if you can get them at a
reasonable price!!

Jacqui

Truly insane pricing - here in Nebraska (zone 5) I've been seeing them
priced between $10 - $15 mostly. Of course, like you, I'm waiting until the
"% off" sales before I buy... The one I got 3 years ago for $8 was covered
with flowers this spring (actually still covered with them) - and its so
nice to see something the rabbits haven't grazed to the ground!