Old 15-04-2006, 06:10 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
Mark Fergerson

Default Why blue light affects vegetation growth.

Otto Bahn wrote:
"N92" wrote

Hi,
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Blue light has a shorter frequency than red or green and
thus has more energy. I.e.., it works better.

Ah, "works better" at doing what exactly though, huh?

Shaniya would do well to consider why most leaves look green (i.e.
reflect that part of the spectrum) when that's the peak part of the EM
spectrum easily transmitted through the atmosphere energy-content-wise.

Hint; what leaves don't reflect, they absorb.

Also, look at things from a leaf's POV; where in the 4pi steradians
of its environment does light of a particular color tend to come from
(up/down/sideways), and what good does it do for the plant to beable to
absorb these wavelengths? What does it do with that light once it's
absorbed it? Plants obviously need light to do photosynthesis, but other
plants compete for it. How do plants know what strategy to use to
succeed at that competition?

Mark L. Fergerson

PS Purely Kibological responses prolly oughta be trimmed out of the
botany group.