Old 15-04-2006, 07:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,alt.religion.kibology
TomH

Default Why blue light affects vegetation growth.

Mark Fergerson wrote:

Otto Bahn wrote:
"N92" wrote
My name is Shaniya and I am a Year 10 student at Alfriston College.
I was wondering if you could tell me exactly why blue light has an
effect on vegetation plants.
Any other information relating to this would be helpful.
This research is for my science project.
The answer to this would be highly appreciated.

Hint; what leaves don't reflect, they absorb.

Also, look at things from a leaf's POV; where in the 4pi steradians of
its environment does light of a particular color tend to come from
(up/down/sideways), and what good does it do for the plant to beable to
absorb these wavelengths? What does it do with that light once it's
absorbed it? Plants obviously need light to do photosynthesis, but other
plants compete for it. How do plants know what strategy to use to
succeed at that competition?

If you're talking science here, your answer is far too
complex, and you must refer back to the question for
specifics to obtain the correct, modern science answer.

Out of doors, there are two kinds of light - yellow and
blue, from the sun and the sky respectively. Indoors,
you have only yellow light from teh sun and lamps and
such. So blue light affects the outdoor 'vegetation
plants' of Shaniya's question, whereas blue light does
not affect the indoor 'house' plants because it is not
available to them.

This is exactly why blue light has an effect on
vegetation plants.

--

TomH [ antonomasia at gmail dot com ]