Old 15-04-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
kate

Default watering question

Emery Davis wrote:

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:36:45 -0500
kate wrote:

I got my 8 ft red maple transplanted and am hauling water to it. So far
it's gotten 5 gallons of water but I really don't know how much water
and how often. Any advice?

Hi Kate,

The best is to water it heavily, but less often. How much
will depend on the earth and exposition, but assuming good
deep soil I'd go for 100 litres every 8 days or so.

Assuming you mean A. rubrum they're fond of a drink.

Apparently so - wow! I'm going to have some muscles. How long should I
keep this up? I planted the tree 5 years ago and probably watered it
some it's first year but never have since but I'm willing to go the
distance to make sure it survives.

Thanks,

Kate