Old 16-04-2006, 12:47 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default Underwater Light

Never heard of Alpine brand lights, but no matter, if they leaked
water it had to be from a faulty seal between the front lens cover
glass / retaiing ring to body or where the wire enters the back of the
body..
Its also not uncommon for the retainer rings on some types to get
loose due to temperature changes. Harbor Freight sells a submersible
20 watt light with interchangeable colored lens that are hard to beat
for the money...they are routinley on slae for under $10 each, and are
very well made. I have 12 of them in use and have yet to have a
problem.

MOst often when a submersible light leaks, it ruins the socket the
bulb plugs into if it is not cleaned out right away. You can buy
replacement sockets.....but for the price of a HF light its not worth
the trouble to buy a new bulb, find and fix (hopefully) the leak and
possibly a new socket etc.....

30 watts difference may sound like a lot, but its not really. I run 50
watt bulbs in a few of the 20 watt lights from HF and they work just
fine. No way the additional wattage is gonna heat them up to cause a
proboem, and the wire gauge is the same as on my 50 watt submersibles
as well........so you can readily swap out bulbs if more wattage is
required.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:23:02 GMT, "Paul"
wrote:
I have a small pond and put in an underwater light last year(50W, Alpine).
It worked great for some months and then it stopped working. I went to
replace the bulb and found that water had leaked into its housing. What can
cause that? Is Alpine a defective product?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....