Old 15-04-2006, 09:11 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

Default New garden

C'mon Kathy. Prickly pear cactus grows wild out here. Don't have to
plant
it, water it, or otherwise. Expect flowers in a couple of months from it.
Had to knock down a mess of it so I could get to back in end of land on

foot
last year.

Yeah, I had problems getting it to grow where I wanted it because the deer
were pulling it up last year. Now it has little buds all over it.

DH *loves* jalapenos! I bought 2 plants yesterday, 6-pack of banana and a
couple bell pepper plants. I need to get them planted tonight. He would
love okra and green beans but all my 'gardening' is done in containers, in a
very sunny space on the deck. Perhaps I should get a bit... is it too late
for an okra plant? Do they love the sun?

With hope and heart,
Kathleen

If you got a husband or whatever, feed him lotsa jalapenos. Good for
killing prostrate cancer. No, I'm not kidding.

Too warm for strawberries, and it going to get worse as you know. But,
along the same lines (cool weather), my leaf lettuce is growing well

despite
the heat. Jalapenoes just sprouted their 3rd set of leaves, still small.
One major tomato plant, with 4 others struggling. Many tomato seedling
deaths, followed by replants here. Had to replant okra and green beans

due
to last frost, planted west of some trees. Too much early morning shade.
--
Jonny
"Kathleen" wrote in message
My onions are thriving.
I plan to get some peppers in this weekend, bell, banana, and some
jalapeno.
My amaryllis just bloomed and my cannas are starting to come up again.
The rosemary is doing great and the roses are blooming.
My bluebonnets didn't come up at all... hopefully next year they will

all
bloom at once.
Strawberries didn't make it, I made DH promise that he would remind me
this
year that I *really* *don't* need strawberry plants because I just don't
take care of them.
I think that's it here... oh, my cactus (one prickly one and one

without,
can't remember the names) are all doing great. Hmmmmm... was cacti
plural?
With hope and heart,
Kathleen, also in Wimberley

--
Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality
and eats away its vital unity. Hate destroys a man's sense

"Scott Sexton" wrote in message

How are the rest of you progressing? This is the best time of year
for gardening , but so few posts. Just wondering.

Things are popping up all over my yard.

The Zoysia seems to be coming in pretty well, planted it in late
January. anyone know how long I need to keep watering it to get it
established?
Roses are blooming up a storm.
1 Calla lily has bloomed with others on the way.
Stargazers are about to open up also
Tiger lily's look like they will follow the stargazers about a week or
two afterwards.
Castor Beans are popping up. I expect they will make it to 10-12' this
year.
Passion Flower (both Red and regular) are starting to come back from

the
roots. They froze down to the groud this winter.
Mexican Plum finished blooming a while back
Texas Orchid just finished blooming
Althea/Rose of Sharon is coming out nicely it usually doesn't bloom
until later.
Mountain Laurel has already run it's course and is doing fine.

Basically the garden is coming up nicely, I love this time of year!

Take care, time to go smell the roses!

Scott H. Sexton help@
www.sexton.com sexton.com
Eeyore's Birthday Party http://eeyores.sexton.com