Old 16-04-2006, 07:08 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC

Default Disappearing magpies

G'day

About an hour ago I noticed Mother Magpie with last season's
babies...now teenagers...picking around in the garden, so they are still
in the area, just don't need tidbits from me as often, that will change
come spring when it starts to cost a bit to feed them....who cares
though, I love having them around.

Bronwyn ;-)

HC wrote:
G'day Tony

The Magpie parents who have been calling to my pet 'Meals on Wings" have
been coming for almost 14 years, but there are some times during the
year when they seem to find enough food elsewhere as they don't drop in
as often for a couple of months, although they do pick through the lawn
for worms etc so are still in the area.

In early spring when they are starting to rebuild nests for the next
brood, they soon remember where to get their tidbits.

Maybe this has happened to yours? Or maybe there is a new cat in the
neighbourhood? Might be worth keeping watch?

Bronwyn ;-)

wrote:

After some 7 years of visiting 2/3 times a day, rearing yourg ones our
parent magpies have just stopped coming and have not bee seen now for
a week.

In suburbia.

Is the something that "just happens"?

Tony