Old 16-04-2006, 07:15 AM posted to aus.gardens
HC

Default Tulips

G'day Dave

I've only ever planted bulbs, there is a huge company that does
mailorders from Victoria....can't think of the name at the moment, but a
google search should find them.

When I lived in Orange all my bulbs were magnificent due to the really
cold ground temps in winter, but since moving to the MidNorthCoast NSW
daffodils are OK but the tulips didn't do any good. Of course, I had
chosen to leave the bulbs in the ground over winter......if I had dug
them and kept them in the fridge, I suspect the results could have been
greatly improved. Daffies here don't last nearly as long as in Orange,
again due to temps, but they still look nice if only for a couple of days.

I'd guess you might need to lift them during winter and put the bulbs in
the fridge, but might be worth trialling some left in the ground and
some lifted. They should be lifted every couple of years and divided
anyway, says she who used to have in excess of 6000 daffies in 13 colour
variations, so it wasn't a job I'd rush to do every year, but still the
results were great due to the cold ground temps.

Good luck.....there is NOTHING nicer than a whole garden bed of tulips.
They are to die for!!

Bronwyn ;-)

Dave Turner wrote:

How easy are tulips to grow? and can you only grow them from buds or
whatever (as opposed to seed)? im in Perth and I remember seeing a massive
tulip display at Araluen botanical garden once which was pretty impressive
and got me thinking about growing a few in my front garden