Old 15-04-2006, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

Default Stuffing our environment

The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

Apologies from the outset if some people don't see this as the correct
newsgroup for the following rant. I have however observed some very sensible
people on the group with commonsense advice. Moreover, imo, people who
engage themselves in gardening for food generally display some environmental
awareness. If the topic isn't appropriate I will take it elsewhere. Also,
apologies if my language gets too strong for any.

I am despondent at present about the way we treat our earth. We pollute our
soil, our water and our air. We spread toxic crap onto the earth, we spread
vast amounts of chemicals where we please and farm to deplete the topsoil.

We flush all manner of crap in to our water ways and we draw off vast
amounts of water to sustain our, imo unsustainable, lifestyles.

We pump huge amounts of pollution into our air, we suffer air degredation
and poisoining as a result.

We create huge amounts of waste, much of it petroleum based, with our throw
away lifestyles. I see people landfilling green waste, the earth is awash
with plastic bags, we consume things with a shelf life of years or even
months.

Not content with that we encroach into the few nature areas we have left
through deforestation, deep water bottom trawling and the draining of wet
lands.

A term used is environmental tipping point, where the earth simply gives up.
When does gradual degredation turn to breaking point. How big an ecological
footprint do people want.

If anyone has basic commonsense solutions to some of these issues, ones you
can apply to your household, please feel free to raise them. Maybe I will
learn something I can do to lessen my impact and reduce my ecological
footprint. Thanks for your patience.

rob

Once we have burnt all the oil in around 30 or 40 years. That will make
us stop and think just a wee bit more.